Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Almost Homemade Refried Beans.

My mom used to boil beans all day to make homemade re fried beans... but then she got smart and started doing this.... Here is what you'll need...
2 or 3 cans of pinto beans (I prefer Bush brand beans)
garlic salt
Dump out all contents of cans into a medium sized pot (even the bean water, this is why I prefer Bush brand beans because I know the bean to bean water ratio works perfectly, other brands seem to turn out runny). Add about 5 shakes of garlic salt, or enough to your liking.
Warm up your beans (they are easier to mash warmed). Mash the beans up. I used a whisk for mashing and a potato masher thingy I have. Mash them up really good so that it is not too runny. It will thicken up a bit as it cools down. Top with shredded cheese of your liking. I serve these beans with tortilla chips for dipping (this can also be a bean dip), and as a side dish. Trust me you'll never by canned re fried beans again!

2 comments:

  1. I will try this next time we do mexican!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! It is so easy and so good! Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete